Thursday, February 17, 2011

Chris Christie on Pensions

From the AEI Speech:

about speaking to NJ firefighters about pensions,

"And then I said to them-I took away the prepared notes I had for the speech-I actually took them off of the podium and crumpled them up and threw them on the ground. And I said here's the deal: I understand you're angry and I understand you're frustrated and I understand you feel deceived and betrayed. And the reason you feel all the things is because you have been deceived and you have been betrayed. And for 20 years, governors have come into this room and lied to you. Promised you benefits that they had no way of paying for making promises they knew they couldn't keep and just hoping they wouldn't be the man or women left holding the bag. I understand why you feel angry and betrayed and deceived by those people. Here's what I don't understand. Why you booing the first guy who came in here and told you the truth? See, there is no political advantage of me coming into that room and telling the truth."

No comments: